Town Dove Guardian, Guardian of the Town

Viewing thread in General Chat

PepperMint (#1911)
Icon
Practitioner Adventurer
Total Posts: 78

A "just for fun" thread to throw into the mix of forum madness: 

As I was abandoning quests earlier today, I noticed something rather peculiar. When disposing of the Town Dove's little quest for golden apples, a pop-up appeared titled, "The guardian looks puzzled at you, as if it couldn't remember even giving you a quest?"

Now, I know you might think this is just the standardized message linked to all quest abandonments and therefore has no meaning whatsoever - but I hardly agree. This is, in fact, confirmation that the Town Dove is a Guardian. And, of course, they are the Guardian of the Town (which has no other guardians, therefore it must be true!)

On another note, I have noticed that the dove is called a 'Town Dove' in the quest log, a 'Hungry Dove' in their title, and a 'Pidgeon' in the URL! This is obviously a case of multiple identities - and of course! How could a Guardian go about inconspicuously other than retaining three separate identities? One for the adventurers, one for the passersby, and one for... people who like URLs!

Feel free to jump in with other theories, or explain to me how all of this is some misunderstanding.

1 week ago on January 12, 2020 21:25

Antimoany (#3821)
Icon
Master Artisan
Community Moderator
Total Posts: 123

Doves are pigeons, so on that note at least it's likely less an alter-ego and more just different words for the same things.

But, otherwise....you may well be onto something. Did Novilar even have a town before the portals? Perhaps the arrival of new beings necessitated a new guardian.

I'm a volunteer moderator and would be happy to help you out with anything you need.
Custom pets and skins

1 week ago on January 13, 2020 00:27

PepperMint (#1911)
Icon
Practitioner Adventurer
Total Posts: 78

@Antimoany(#3821) 

If, as you theorize, there was no town before the portals, how would the humans have gone about trading goods? Moreover, how would they have existed without settlements? Humans are, by nature, drawn together to survive. Does that mean there were also no humans before the portals?? What was Novilar before all these beings wandered through?

1 week ago on January 13, 2020 17:36

Antimoany (#3821)
Icon
Master Artisan
Community Moderator
Total Posts: 123

@PepperMint it's been a while, but from what I recall, Novilar was just a realm of (sapient) beasts and their guardians before the portals opened. Humans are an alien species that arrived here through those portals.

At the same time, the beasts (pets) began to corrupt, a hitherto unknown condition. While the arrival of humans doesn't seem to have caused corruption, they do have the power to cure it - something the guardians themselves cannot do.

Not even the guardians know what's going on (or if they do, they're not saying. Mysterious lot) but there's clearly some correlation between the portals and the corruption.

This post was edited at January 15, 2020 01:48

I'm a volunteer moderator and would be happy to help you out with anything you need.
Custom pets and skins

1 week ago on January 15, 2020 01:46

You must be logged in to reply! Login or Register now!