March 2020 Pet Story Contest

Back to Contests and Giveaways

Terris (#790)
Icon
Practitioner Adventurer • Administrator
Evil Overlord
March 4th, 2020 7:51:23 PM

To celebrate the Festival of the Horse we have yet another contest for you all, and a wonderful prize to win!

This lovely pre-generated mare has a fertility of 100, and could be yours. All you need to do is come up with a short origin story about her.

How To Enter:

1. Come up with a story.

2. Post the story below.

You may enter a maximum of THREE stories.

Please Note: This is a raffle-type situation, so as long as you write a valid entry you have a chance at winning the prize!

Entries close Saturday 21 March 2020 at midnight.

Good luck!

Occultess (#1083)
Icon
Apprentice Adventurer
Need...more...horse... totems!
March 20th, 2020 3:16:49 PM

Grasslands stretched under the sun, bathing in its warm glow. Herds of horses grazed upon the tall grass while mighty trees offered them shade and shelter.

In the heart of the grasslands, an old tale told about a mighty tree that was said to be the connection between the grasslands and the Horse God that was said to protect them. Elder horses told that once every 1000 years, the oldest tree would dry and fall, and from its roots will emerge a Demigod destined to guard the grasslands. Generation came and go and the legend was lost in the tides of time, remembered only by few. Soon, the 1000-year cycle came to its completion and a tree fell as was foretold. From its roots emerged a creme colored horse with roots entangled around its body, running down its back and legs.

As she sounded her first nicker, Deithess joined the world and became one of the protectors of the horse herds.

This post was edited March 20th, 2020 10:57:33 PM

Wolfie (#6626)
Icon
Senior Hunter
what is a shout
March 21st, 2020 6:05:19 PM

A high-pitched whinny sounded through the air. Neighboring mares raised their heads, tails whipping from side to side in excitement. A few pawed the dusty earth in anticipation. The lead mare shoved her way through the gathering crowd, nipping and charging at those who go too near the heap lying on the ground.

"Everyone, give her space!" neighed the lead mare. She was a dun with flaxen mane and tail. Her hooves and teeth were wearing down from age, but despite this she kept her position via loyalty to th band stallion. She turned her face towards the mare on the ground, and gauged her progress in labor. Almost finished, she decided, marveling at the young mare's ability to keep silent for so long. The birthing female was a beautiful blue roan with black mane and tale. She was just barely an adult, yet already having her first foal.

"Is it always this painful?" the roan mare inquired, panting heavily with flaring nostrils.

"Every time," confirmed the dun. Her dark eyes filled with pity. With the amount of foals she'd birthed, and how many she'd overseem, she knew first hoof just how magnificent, yet so excruciatingly full of agony such a job as pushing out a young horse could be. "You get used to it over time. If not, the thrill of caring for a foal is always worthit."

"It better be," the lying mare grunted. Pulling in her legs and curling her neck, she gave another great push. A shriek slipped past her teeth, followed by the roan going limp. The only indication she was still with the living was her haunches rising and lowering with every ragged breath she sucked in.

"It's finished," the lead mare encouraged. She reared up on her hind legs, letting out a trumphent "she's arrived!" As the cheer was taken up from on mare to another, an entire volley of joy was soon heard throughout the plains.

As the cries died down, the blue roan mare brought herself up so that she was laying on her stomach rather than her side. A contented sigh passed through her nose as she gazed lovingly at the beautiful filly blinking up at the bright new world. She looked just like her father, the herd's band stallion. Her fur was a creamy tan with darker brindled stripes painting her with unqiueness, along with brown and white freckles dotting her.

"My filly," nickered the new mother. "My beautiful filly."

Spazz (#6715)
Icon
Practitioner Mage
Real eyes realize real lies
March 21st, 2020 7:01:29 PM

A Friend From the Fields

"Here she is." Said the young girl as she led the doctor to the barn, "Can you fix her?" Her tone was so hopeful and young.

"Well, I can certainly try." Said the veterinarian. "But, young girl, I can't promise." He said to her.

At his words, her head bowed as she stared at her white mare who lay on her side in the barn. The mare she had grown up with and yet it was already the horse's time. Unknowingly she began to pull at the hem of her blue dress, the one her mother made for her before she passed away.

"She's just sick, right? Just a cold..." The tears began to slowly fall from the girl's cheeks.

"Shawnnie?" Her father's hands gripped her shoulders tightly but gently as he traced the girl's gaze. "She's going to be fine." He said to her.

"Stop lying to me!" Shawnnie screamed to her father as her vision became blurry, emotions running through her eight-year-old body. 

She turned from the two men and ran out of the barn. All she could see was green as she ran through the fields beside the farm her family had owned. After what seemed like forever her legs began to buckle and ache, her head was pounding and she was out of breath. She couldn't take it. She fell to her knees, the vibrant green grass cool on her bare legs. She felt tired as she looked up to the cloudless sky. It was so quiet and beautiful out in the field. No father to tell her what to do. No animals to take care of. No eggs to gather. She loved it. The sun was warm as it beat down. A small breeze flowed past her, her blonde hair barely moving. As far back as she could remember, she and her mother would come to this field and lay down on the grass until the sun would set. So that's what she did and before she knew it, she had dozed off.

What awoke her was the light breathing on her face. Her eyes fluttered open and what met her was a young mare with caramel-colored fur and a dark mane. Dark chocolate eyes stared into her green ones. They both stopped and stared at each other for a long moment before the horse reeled back with surprise, a quiet but high-pitched whinny following. The young girl stared at the mare with amazement, she had never seen such a beautiful horse. "Friends?" Shawnnie reached out her hand towards the creature. Slowly but surely it gave in and cautiously made it's way over to her, sniffing her hand.

"Father! Father!" Shawnnie shouted as she burst through the front door.

"Shawnnie? What is it?" His eyes wide as he found her.

"Come! Come look!" She squealed with excitement as she fled out the door.

Her father rushed out and sighed in relief when he saw the mare.

"Ain't she pretty?" Shawnnie asked as she was practically bouncing up and down.

"Why yes, she is." Her father said as he tipped his hat to her.

"I found her in the field! Can we keep her? Please?" Shawnnie's eyes were wide as the words left her mouth, which held a bright smile.

"You found a friend in the field, huh?"

"I guess I did!" She tottered on her heels. "I think I'll name her Emmy!" The girl grinned at the horse who seemed to be smiling right back at her. "My Emmy!"

This post was edited March 21st, 2020 7:02:43 PM

Life is like a poem
It doesn't have to rhyme
It doesn't have to look good
As long as you're proud of it
That's all that ever has to matter.

Spazz (#6715)
Icon
Practitioner Mage
Real eyes realize real lies
March 22nd, 2020 5:20:19 PM

Who won?

Life is like a poem
It doesn't have to rhyme
It doesn't have to look good
As long as you're proud of it
That's all that ever has to matter.

Terris (#790)
Icon
Practitioner Adventurer • Administrator
Evil Overlord
March 31st, 2020 12:33:29 PM

The winner of the story contest is Wolfie! Congratulations! 

The lovely lass will be sent your way in just a moment!

(sorry for the delay, I'm down with covid 19)

Wolfie (#6626)
Icon
Senior Hunter
what is a shout
March 31st, 2020 12:53:52 PM

Oh no!! I hope you get well soon! I'll pray for you.

As well, thank you very much!! It's been a while since I've done writing and am surprised I actually won. I feel my writing is not as good as it used to be. ^^' and everyone else is welcome to breed with her if you'd like !!

This thread has been locked