Back to Other Media

runeowl (#2)
Icon
Scholar Scribe
Co-Founder
Total Posts: 399
September 12th, 2016 9:41:48 PM
New favorite off-topic thread.

Oh man where do I even start. Sun or Moon? I haven't decided which to get yet! I have been checking my phone embarrassingly often to see if I've gotten the new Pokemon GO "Buddy" update... and as for which buddy I'll choose, hmm...

?

Shex (#26)
Icon
Scholar Adventurer
Artist
Total Posts: 14
September 14th, 2016 7:53:50 PM
I haven't touched pokemongo for 3 weeks now, I'll get back when they introduce a big update ^^

Shex (#26)
Icon
Scholar Adventurer
Artist
Total Posts: 14
September 14th, 2016 7:58:21 PM
Yeah, but what does it do? I thought it was just a cosmetic update with no real function

Evander (#37)
Icon
Senior Adventurer
Total Posts: 534
September 14th, 2016 8:04:49 PM
@Shex You pick a pokemon to take with you as you walk. Different rarities require different distances, but when you walk the set number of kilometers the game asks for you'll get candies specific to the buddy pokemon you picked. (That's my understanding at least. I might be wrong on what you get, but that's what I've seen people talk about.) You can't evolve your pokemon in the middle of a walk or switch to a different pokemon unless you want your progress to reset, but after each reward is given you can safely change the buddy pokemon in whatever way.

Aesthetically all it does is put a pokemon next to you on your trainer profile and in the gameplay screen you see a small portrait of the pokemon next to yours. Unfortunately the pokemon doesn't literally follow us around as we walk in the game.

runeowl (#2)
Icon
Scholar Scribe
Co-Founder
Total Posts: 399
September 14th, 2016 8:09:25 PM
@Shex @Owl

Which is a huge shortcoming imo, haha. I would have loved for my "buddy" to follow me around like in the older games...

Evander (#37)
Icon
Senior Adventurer
September 14th, 2016 8:13:06 PM
@runeowl Agreed. I imagine that a possible reason they didn't code for us to have a pokemon "shadow" is that people might get confused between their buddy and wild pokemon they can actually catch, or that it might hover over or otherwise get in the way of being able to tap on a wild pokemon.

Entity (#71)
Icon
Master Merchant
Total Posts: 29
September 16th, 2016 8:44:43 PM
Hello!

:D I thought I'd introduce myself on the thread. My name is Entity, I've been involved in pokemon since I was old enough to talk. Funnily enough, I believe the game's copyright date from the old games, 1993, was my birth year! Hooray!

My favorite pokemon: Arbok. Hands down it's arbok. It's not just because I love snakes, but because poison types in general are very underused. I actually own an arbok on my Pokemon Omega Ruby with Glare, Fire fang, Ice Fang and Thunder fang!

However my second favorite is Persian. There's just something about that majestic house cat that makes me love it so much. Again, an underused pokemon with a simple, but lovable design that makes me want to hug it.

As for which buddy I chose for my Poke-Go walk, I picked a vaporeon. I needed Eevee candies at the time. My area is severely lacking in eevees at the moment. But it's 5KM just for 1 candy ;o;

Yes, each pokemon has a different distance you need to walk for a candy. :3

Evander (#37)
Icon
Senior Adventurer
September 16th, 2016 10:07:43 PM
@Entity Hey you! :D I'm still jealous of your Arbok. XD Oh, and don't forget to grab Victini this month!!

You only get one candy for each distance you complete? D:

You must be logged in to reply! Login or Register now!