50 Days A Merchant

Viewing thread in Merchant's Association

Yuu (#20)
Icon
Master Merchant
Total Posts: 369
So, I've decided to become a merchant for 50 days. My original profession was a Tailor, and I'd gotten to Master level, but I needed a way to be smarter with my money, in order to afford lab tool upgrades.

This is just a fun little thread where I'll be keeping a "journal" of my feelings of having switched over from Master Tailor to Apprentice Merchant.

Day One: I am already lamenting the loss of 2 steps every 5 minutes. Being premium, I now wait 12.5 hours for my steps to completely refill, and will only be able to adventure with full steps every half a day. This is sad, but a necessary evil if I am to stick to my plans. I've gotten to level 2 in Alchemy again already, and have crafted my first Merchant clothing item!

2 years ago on October 13, 2016 00:22

Dog (#196)
Icon
Practitioner Adventurer
Total Posts: 265
Good luck to you!

I will be following with interest.

They should make it so merchants have more shop space I feel.

I don't think being a merchant would be worth it to me really. I don't have enough to make the 1% interest offset the value of the extra steps. But in some cases I definitely see how it would be profitable. 

2 years ago on October 13, 2016 19:22

Yuu (#20)
Icon
Master Merchant
@Dog Thank you for the good luck! I made my decision to switch to merchant through a lot of calculations and spreadsheets haha. I don't need more shop space, seeing as I don't have a lot of plans to sell my resources, since I'm getting less a day now that I've switched.

---

Day Two: It's really weird waking up and seeing my steps aren't full. I've calculated that I'll only need to adventure twice a day, and will have used all of my possible steps that way. I would definitely suggest anyone thinking of going to a profession with less steps to buy premium, as it makes it so that your steps have longer until they fill up. 12.5 hours for 150 steps, meaning I'm getting less than 300 a day, but I haven't had any problems with that so far. Finished all bar one quest today [Otter wants gold ingots and sandpaper, and they ain't gettin it].

I've realized that with my slower regenning steps, I no longer have to wait until rollover to make sure I maximize my step usage, so I'll be able to go to sleep before 1AM tonight haha. So far, even with the crafting materials I've been buying, I've been able to earn gold to put into the bank, which is bolstering my 50 day plan's final output.

I'm currently Level 3, 76%. With the crafting mats I bought, I should be around Level 4, 80% by the end of tomorrow. So I'm close to being a Master again! I'm not going to be buying the higher end equipment until the end of my 50 day journey, but I can start collecting things I might need in the future, to craft the merchant clothing that need the expensive tools.

2 years ago on October 14, 2016 03:37

Dog (#196)
Icon
Practitioner Adventurer
It would be nice to wake up with less than 150 steps. I get somewhat overwhelmed sometimes. 

Good luck leveling up. :) You are going so fast.

2 years ago on October 14, 2016 04:22

Yuu (#20)
Icon
Master Merchant
@Dog Yeah, I don't miss being overwhelmed by having my steps regenerate too fast.

--

Day Three: I'm posting this earlier, because I caved and bought some stuff from someone else and had to collect my interest early. I'm over 50% through level 4! I should hit Master either tonight or tomorrow. After that, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with myself. Depending on how this all works out, I might stick around as a merchant for longer than the original 50 days... Only time will tell.

2 years ago on October 14, 2016 22:39

Yuu (#20)
Icon
Master Merchant
Day Nine: I'm beginning to notice the difference that not having steps is causing. I'd been ahead of my friend in found minipets, but have now fallen behind them. My interest is almost a week ahead of where I'd planned it to be, so that's a good thing at least. 

2 years ago on October 20, 2016 20:19

Dog (#196)
Icon
Practitioner Adventurer
Argh, you're making me want to switch to merchant.

Especially as I've been getting busier and missing steps.

Hard choices.

2 years ago on October 21, 2016 18:09

Yuu (#20)
Icon
Master Merchant
Day Thirteen: Last night I caved and purchased the 200k Furnace tool. My bank is crying, but since I'd already been ahead of schedule I figured why not. With each passing day, I flip flop between wanting to extend my time as a merchant, or switching back to tailor at the end of November...

2 years ago on October 24, 2016 18:22

Yuu (#20)
Icon
Master Merchant
Day Fifteen: My QBP business has been booming. I've decided to take every Friday as a slot for myself, and to in the future make at least two slots a week "gold only". I'm still ahead of where I'd placed myself to be when I started this thing, which is great. I still have 162.8k left to go to have paid off the furnace through thread sales. I've heard whispers about new recipes being added in the future. I wonder if I'll still be merchant when they come?

2 years ago on October 26, 2016 21:15

Yuu (#20)
Icon
Master Merchant
Day Twenty Eight: I haven't been updating this thread much, because I don't really have any news to share. I've kept strong, and haven't caved to spend any large quantities of money [aside from purchasing some crystals to get a mythic wolf totem]. I did the math today, and if I switched my profession, I would be losing five digits worth of interest each day. Yes, the strain of so little steps is difficult. But.. I really am considering not switching out of Merchant at the end of this 50 day adventure. Being a merchant has proved to be a smart decision on my part.

2 years ago on November 09, 2016 03:41

You must be logged in to reply! Login or Register now!